Saturday, April 14, 2012

Buddhist Ethics in Practice

The 5 Mindfulness trainings

I am going to work on a few points from each of these in the next year. Here is what I will focus on mastering.

Reverence for Life
(1) I vow to change the poison of fear and anger in myself into courage and patience.

True Happiness
(2) I vow to learn how to make work a spiritual practice of giving and receiving. I will work to channel my energy for constructive and creative endevors only. Lastly, instead of chasing fame or ego driven rewards, I will instead focus on mindfullness work habits only.

True Love
(3)I will keep these two quotes in mind
If we are not happy, if we are not peaceful, we cannot share peace and happiness with others, even those we love, those who live under the same roof. If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace.
THICH NHAT HANH, Being Peace

If you do not give right attention to the one you love, it is a kind of killing. When you are in the car together, if you are lost in your thoughts, assuming you already know everything about her, she will slowly die.>THICH NHAT HANH, O Magazine, Feb. 2007

Loving Speech and Deep Listening
(4)I will cultivate loving speech in all interactions.

Nourishment and Healing
(5) I will practice mindful eating

No comments: