Thursday, September 18, 2008

Economic Uncertainty

Stop the insanity! The markets are crazy. Foreclosures! It has me scared, i admit it.

I have gone through a lot of emotions. Anger! At the greedy people. Anger again! This time at the people who won't care about me if I loose my job or house. Anger! At republicans of course. They got us into trouble!

Then I woke up. How much thought and care do I give to others who are living under poverty?

OK - here are my excuses. Sound familiar?

I'll be honest, I work a lot. Today, I woke up and went to work. My lunch hour was spent running to my master's degree advisor for a meeting. After work, I raced off to meet my partner, the co-founder of the Chicago Math Circle, a group we are starting together to do community based mathematics. We had dinner while working and then I rushed home to meet with my classmates at DePaul University to discuss our software engineering project. That meeting went from 9pm to 11:30pm. The truth is that this is common for me and for all of us, isnt' it? Sure, I bought a streetwise and smiled as warmly as I could at some down-and-out people, but that isn't that much care or concern. That is a token.

Well, in closing, I pray that I can awaken to more understanding and I can leave my ignorance behind so that I can understand how I can better be of service to myself and others. I pray that accountants can figure out how to value a company so that it can not report a positive earnings statement one week and the next be begging China for money. I pray that we all support one another in times of need.

No comments: