Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Stopping, Calming, Resting, Healing

"Buddhist meditation has two aspects - shamatha and vipashyana. We tend to stress the importance of vipashyana ("deep looking") because it can bring us insight and liberate us from suffering and afflictions. But the practice of shamatha ("stopping") is fundamental. If we cannot stop, we cannot have insight."

from p. 24 The Heart of the Buddha's Teachings by Thich Nhat Hanh

For me this chapter in the book really struck a chord. I have reached a place where I need to stop. Basically, it is as simple as that. I need to stop processing the future and the past and just relax, regroup, and rest. Just be. Just chill.

I plan to do this for a period of time. I think it will be very healing.

Resting the mind as well as the habits. There are so many habits we fall into. We have to be able to stop them. Working on stopping them is good practice as a Buddhist. Using meditation to just simply stop doing whatever it is we are doing. This is a key practice often overlooked.

No comments: